Thursday, June 28, 2012

Enjoy the Bumps (2012)

33 "These things I have spoken to you,that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will [a] have tribulation; but be of good cheer,I have overcome the world.”
                                 John 17:33 (NKJV)

Our vehicle is currently sitting while we work out some mechanical issues. In the meantime my husband and I have been riding the bus. Yesterday we went over a very large bump in the road.  I grabbed for the edge of my seat and exclaimed "Whoa!" The Other passengers smiled and laughed at my rollar coaster like reaction to the experience.  It was no big deal. Just a bump to be enjoyed. 

I remember how much fun it was when I was a child, to sit in the seat just over the back wheels of the bus.  The bumpiest seat was the best seat!  The bumpier the better!   Every child on the bus coveted those seats. 

As a grown up, it is just the opposite.  Those once sought after seats can really be uncomfortable.  But, what if we could expect the bumps, as we did as children.  Or, even look forward to them as part of the adventure of the journey?

Maybe it would make our Christian experience better if we could look at the road ahead with its un-expected turns and jolts in a similar way. If we did begin to have this attitude, the bumps and rough spots would still be out there waiting to upend us. But, by going through the unexpected with a right spirit might make the experience less aggravating and painful.

One thing about our God is that He does not allow anything to happen that He has not warned us in advance about.  Jesus told us that our worldly experience would be full of trouble.  It's to be expected.


No comments:

Post a Comment